Congratulations to our Chef at Oakhyrst, Mrs Debby Staples, who has achieved the Soil Association’s ‘Food for Life’ Bronze Award for the School. On Tuesday 6th November the pupils, staff and Governors celebrated this achievement with a special lunch. As a surprise for Debby, the Chamber Choir sung a special song arranged by Mrs Stevens.
The Bronze Award is about delivering fresh, traceable foods which meet nutritional guidelines to our children every day. We can prove that we achieve the following:
- At least 75% of dishes on the menu are freshly prepared on site from unprocessed ingredients.
- All meat is from farms which satisfy UK animal welfare standards
- No fish are served from the Marine Conservation Society ‘fish to avoid’ list.
- Eggs are from free range hens
- No undesirable additives or artificial trans fats are used.
- No genetically modified ingredients are used.
- Free drinking water is prominently available.
- Menus are seasonal and in-season produce is highlighted for pupils.
- Information is on display about food provenance (where it comes from and how it is produced).
- Menus provide for all dietary and cultural needs.
- All suppliers have been verified to ensure they apply appropriate food safety standards.
- Catering staff are supported with skills training and are engaged in food education.
I hope that you will join with me to congratulate Debby and all who work with Debby in the kitchen at Oakhyrst. There are more photos available to view via the parent portal login.
Mr Alex Gear